Renovation Mobile Support - Introduction
Renovation has partnered with Viafo to present the convention schedule in an online application for handheld devices. The iPhone 3GS and newer Apple devices are the first to be supported, with others arriving between now and the start of the convention.
There are three ways to take advantage of this functionality.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch or iPad, you can download a free Renovation app now
from the iTunes App Store. See
below for how to get started with the app on your iPhone.
- If you have an Android device, version 2.1 or later, you can download the Android version
of the same app from the Android
marketplace. Note that the app is optimized for version 2.2; we have tested that it will run on
Android 2.1, but performance may be variable.
- If your device does not support the available apps, or if you prefer not to use an app, you can simply use your mobile device's browser to access the same data at http://mobile.renovationsf.org. You will however need a web-kit based browser: on a computer that means Chrome/Safari but not IE/Firefox. On a mobile device that includes iOS Browsers, the default Android browser, and later generation Palm and Blackberry browsers.
Bear in mind that this is a Web application which means it will only run if you have connectivity. If you leave the app for any reason it will reload next time you go back to it.
For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions page.
to leave feedback, tell us about a bug or suggest an improvement, please use our Feedback Form. (But please read this page and the FAQ first, in case your question or issue is already covered).
The Renovation app is currently supported on the following devices:
- iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4
- iPod Touch 2nd Generation or better
- Android version 2.1 or better (optimized for version 2.2; performance may be reduced on version 2.1).
We currently have a version of the application in for approval with Apple that will work on Verizon iPhones and older iPhones and iPod Touches.
We will continue to post announcements on the Renovation web site and social networks as new versions of the app become available.
If you have another type of handheld device (e.g. Palm, Blackberry or Nokia) you can access the same functionality via the Web App at http://mobile.renovationsf.org - although you will need to be online for this to function. (See also the note above about browser compatibility).
The Renovation app is a new development specifically for the convention and inevitably it's a learning experience for all of us - but an investment for the future. Known problems at present are as follows.
- Deleting items from My Program in V1 of the Apple App is known to corrupt the
installation completely. We have a fix in with Apple for approval, but until you can
update to the next version we recommend you do not delete items from My Program.
- Data will not load - there are several reasons for this which we're beating into
submission - one is we have to load a lot of data in the background and this process
can sometimes break. A fix should be available for the convention.
- Participants list doesn't work - this is the same as the data load problem and
we are working on it.
- The screen leaves a patch of white space or logo visible - this has been fixed
for the next iPhone release
- App is slow - we had to walk a fine line between the functionality we could achieve in the run up to the app and trying to build to the lowest common denominator. We picked the iPhone 3GS as the cut off and have tested mainly on this - while the app works on older devices, we accept the performance can be poor.
- Enter the URL for the Web App into your iPhone:
- Save the URL as a bookmark to the homescreen - on iPhone, this
is the middle button at the bottom of the browser, select "Save to
- A Renovation Icon will appear on the home screen
- Launch the app from the Renovation icon
- There's a help file in the application.
- The options bar at the bottom of the screen scrolls left and right.
So if you want to find more options put your finger on one of the
options and scroll left and right.
- "Pulling down" the screen will refresh the program updates, twitter feeds and upcoming items.