Latest News and Site Update History
This page contains a history of all major Renovation announcements and website updates (newest first!).
- Aug 14, 2011 - read more about our gaming activities, including
a Dominion tournament and Summit Arcane: a LARP set in the world of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
- Aug 14, 2011 - confirmed the schedule for Artist Alley.
- Aug 14, 2011 - the Program Grid can now be downloaded.
- Aug 14, 2011 - confirmed video streaming arrangements for the Hugo
- Aug 14, 2011 - meet authors, artists and other professionals at our kaffeeklatsches
and literary beers.
- Aug 13, 2011 - check out the confirmed guest list for Stroll
with the Stars, between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. every morning during the convention.
- Aug 10, 2011 - read more about some of the musicians who will
be taking part in Music Night!
- Aug 9, 2011 - WSFS Business Meeting materials are
- Aug 8, 2011 - Renovation to preview new feature film adaptation of Philip K. Dick's
Radio Free Albemuth, supported by Q&A
with writer/director John Alan Simon.
- Aug 8, 2011 - Renovation confirms live video streaming and text
coverage of the Hugo Award Ceremony.
- Aug 8, 2011 - Press Release #42 -
Renovation Announces Record Hugo Awards Voter Turnout.
- Aug 8, 2011 - Renovation Announces Record Hugo Awards Voter Turnout!
- Aug 8, 2011 - pre-con membership sales will stop at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, August 10.
You will be able to buy memberships and Day Admissions in person at the convention from the morning of
Wednesday, August 17.
- Aug 8, 2011 - Nightshade Books and Pyr SF join the Renovation book drive.
- Aug 8, 2011 - the Nevada Historical Society is putting on an
SF themed event on Saturday afternoon,
August 13 at 2.30 pm, with Reno-based writer Susan Palwick and a showing of "The Amazing Colossal Man".
- Aug 6, 2011 - our Mobile app is now available
for Android devices, version 2.1 and up.
- Aug 5, 2011 - more information is now available on our Mobile
Support plans, including device available, an FAQ and a user feedback form.
- Aug 5, 2011 - we've announced more details of our projected media,
including our anime and cartoon showings.
- Aug 4, 2011 - you can now search our Program Database directly
to get the latest schedule information for any program participant or convention day.
- Aug 4, 2011 - Our Mobile App is now available in the iTunes store, with Android to follow
in the next couple of days - see the schedule page
- Aug 4, 2011 - ever wished you ruled the Seven Kingdoms? Just sit on the
Iron Throne in Hall 2, and close your eyes ...
- Aug 4, 2011 - the full convention guide (Pocket Program) can now be downloaded from
our main schedule page in PDF format!
- Aug 3, 2011 - a summary convention schedule is now
available along with an overview of what is happening where.
- Aug 3, 2011 - full details of our Children's Program are
now available online.
- Aug 3, 2011 - a Reno Ghost Walk has been arranged on
the evening of Wednesday, August 17.
- Aug 2, 2011 - we will be offering group tours to the Buckbean
Brewing Company for members on Friday afternoon.
- Aug 1, 2011 - Press Release #41 -
Renovation Thanks Publishers for Supporting Public Libraries in the Reno Area.
- Jul 31, 2011 - read about our publisher book drive to help local
Washoe County libraries improve their SF collections.
- Jul 31, 2011 - An expanded range of Renovation merchandise is now available through
Pre-order now for pick-up at the convention!
- Jul 31, 2011 - Rachel Bloom and Dr Demento appearing live at the Friday Night
- Jul 28, 2011 - Hugo Award voting closes this Sunday, July 31, at 11:59pm PDT.
- Jul 26, 2011 - our hotel blocks are now closed. Our main hotels
page provides some suggestions for those who still need a room.
- Jul 23, 2011 - you can also check out the final list of artists who will be
represented in the Renovation Art Show.
- Jul 23, 2011 - check out the fantastic final list of confirmed dealers in our
- Jul 18, 2011 - Press Release #40 -
Renovation Publishes its Final Progress Report.
- Jul 18, 2011 - PR5 is now available for download from the Progress
- Jul 16, 2011 - the registration deadline for the Teaching SF workshop
has been extended to July 30.
- Jul 10, 2011 - read more about our Special Art Exhibit.
- Jul 9, 2011 - we are pleased to announce the Film Festival schedule.
- Jul 8, 2011 - the Peppermill hotel block has been extended to 20 July;
however we are down to the last 25 rooms and expect these to sell out before that date.
- Jul 5, 2011 - Press Release #39 - Renovation Announces
Special Art Exhibits and Additional Sponsor.
- Jul 4, 2011 - you can now find our official weapons policy
in the Member Services area.
- Jul 4, 2011 - our Writers' Workshops are now full.
- Jul 1, 2011 - the Peppermill hotel block closes on 8 July;
you must book before then to be sure of finding a room at the convention rate.
- Jul 1, 2011 - we have just two places left in our writers'
workshops - apply now if you are interested.
- Jun 28, 2011 - Hugo Voter Packet expands.
- Jun 28, 2011 - Press Release #38 -
2011 Hugo Voter Packet Expands.
- Jun 24, 2011 - Renovation and the Heinlein Society will be sponsoring a
Blood Drive on Wednesday, August 17.
- Jun 22, 2011 - you can now buy a Day Admission online. Prices
start from $30 for Adults and just $15 for Children!
- Jun 20, 2011 - Press Release #37 - Renovation to Highlight
Science Fiction and Fantasy Art.
- Jun 17, 2011 - we are now accepting reservations for our Writers' Workshops.
- Jun 8, 2011 - check out our updated and expanded list of Dealers' Room participants.
- Jun 7, 2011 - we will be running daily book discussion groups on
some SF classics.
- Jun 6, 2011 - Press Release #36 - Renovation Announces At-Con Membership
and Day Admission Rates.
- Jun 3, 2011 - we have now sold well over 80% of our block in the
Peppermill hotel. Please book soon to be sure of obtaining a room.
- Jun 3, 2011 - our latest membership list and
demographics have been published. We now have over 3,000 Attending members and nearly 4,000
members in total.
- May 28, 2011 - we are now accepting Childcare bookings
- May 26, 2011 - Press Release #35 -
Renovation Announces Memorial Day Sale on Attending Memberships.
- May 24, 2011 - aspiring cover artists can now apply for our
Illustration Masterclass with Richard Hescox.
- May 23, 2011 - Press Release #34 - Renovation Masquerade Hosts and Judges
Announced; Online Entry Now Open.
- May 22, 2011 - expanded the WSFS section by adding details of the
Business Passed On from Aussiecon 4
to the Renovation Business Meeting.
- May 19, 2011 - The 2011 Hugo Voter Packet,
an electronic package of nominated works for Renovation members, has been released!
- May 19, 2011 - Press Release #33 - 2011 Hugo Voter Packet Released.
- May 11, 2011 - all Peppermill suites, except
the directly bookable standard Tuscany suites, are now sold out.
- May 9, 2011 - Press Release #32 - Renovation - 100 Days and Counting.
- May 7, 2011 - Kiddiecorp has been confirmed as our
childcare provider. We will be opening the childcare service to
bookings by the end of May.
- May 3, 2011 - Renovation is delighted to announce
Jay Lake and Ken Scholes
as Masters of Ceremony for the Hugo Awards.
- Apr 29, 2011 - Press Release #31 - Renovation
Publishes its Fourth Progress Report.
- Apr 29, 2011 - Progress Report 4 is now available for download from our
- Apr 24, 2011 - the Final Hugo Ballot has been released, check out the
main Hugo Awards page to access the online
and paper ballots.
- Apr 24, 2011 - Press Release #30 - Renovation Announces
2011 Hugo Award Nominees.
- Apr 22, 2011 - please join us at 2 p.m. PDT on Sunday, April 24 for the announcement of
the Hugo Award finalists. You can follow along via a live chat session which Renovation
will host at the official Hugo Awards website,
- Apr 21, 2011 - Press Release #29 - Renovation Announces Dance
Program Featuring Girl Genius Grand Ball.
- Apr 18, 2011 - Press Release #28 - Renovation Announces a
Teaching SF Workshop for Teachers, Librarians & Parents.
- Apr 15, 2011 - we are pleased to release the initial list of
Dealers who have applied for space in our Dealers' Room.
- Apr 14, 2011 - Press Release #27 - Renovation
Welcomes the Klingon Language Institute.
- Apr 12, 2011 - Press Release #26 - Renovation Hugo
Finalists to be Announced at Norwescon and Eastercon.
- Apr 9, 2011 - following our recent site visit, we have new articles about the
Reno site from the viewpoint of scooter users and
the vision impaired.
- Apr 7, 2011 - Press Release #25 -
Renovation Announces Membership Discounts for Reno College Staff and Students.
- Apr 5, 2011 - our latest membership list and
demographics are available - we welcome our first members from India and Switzerland this month,
taking us to 29 different countries in all!
- Apr 1, 2011 - the
SF Outreach project is giving away thousands of books at Wondercon in San Francisco this weekend.
Renovation was delighted to provide the core funding needed to get this project off the ground.
Check out the photos!
- Mar 31, 2011 - Our block at the Courtyard hotel is now
sold out. We still have plenty of rooms available at the
- Mar 31, 2011 - Renovation buzz is growing - do you want to join the conversation?
Just use hashtag #Renosf and see your comments show up below!
- Mar 31, 2011 - our final survey has now closed but you can still see the results
of ALL our surveys here. We thank you all
for taking part!
- Mar 30, 2011 - the Site Selection ballot and Texas in 2013 Bid Filing
can now be downloaded from the Site Selection page.
- Mar 30, 2011 - Press Release #24 -
Renovation Launches Site Selection Ballot for the 2013 Worldcon.
- Mar 21, 2011 - Press Release #23 - Hugo Nomination Deadline Fast Approaching.
- Mar 17, 2011 - launched our improved list of confirmed program participants.
The new release includes biography pages with links to participant websites and blogs as well as
integrated Twitter feeds (where available).
- Mar 11, 2011 - an updated list of Film Festival entries is
now available, with over 40 separate films received so far.
- Mar 8, 2011 - our Dealers' Room rates are now finalised, and will be $250 per table.
- Mar 3, 2011 - we now have over 3000 members registered for Renovation! Check out
where they come from or search the latest
- Mar 1, 2011 - our new membership rates are now in effect. These rates
are valid through July 17, 2011.
- Feb 26, 2011 - Strolling with the Stars now has its own
Facebook page. Keep in touch with us there if you'd like to see who will be joining our
- Feb 25, 2011 - updated our list of confirmed program participants.
New additions include Ellen Datlow, Tanya Huff, John Picacio, Kim Stanley Robinson,
Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Toni Weisskopf.
- Feb 23, 2011 - We now have three separate Twitter feeds. Follow @SFReno
to just receive Convention announcements, or @RenovationSF
for a broader mix of SF&F news of interest to Worldcon attendees. We also have
@Renoprogram for the latest on panellists and program items.
- Feb 23, 2011 - a final reminder that membership rates rise on March 1, 2011.
Please help spread the word - the more members we get, the better the show we can put on!
- Feb 23, 2011 - Press Release #22 - Renovation Promises Demented Opening Night.
Dr. Demento will be appearing and performing as part of Renovation's Music Night!
- Feb 20, 2011 - launched our sixth Worldcon survey,
featuring Hugo Award movies.
- Feb 20, 2011 - we have added many more entries to our Artist Showcase.
If you haven't visited the Showcase recently, why not take a look now?
- Feb 13, 2011 - added new pages on Gaming and
activities for children and young adults.
- Feb 7, 2011 - Press Release #21 - Advertisers Sought for Renovation Souvenir Book.
- Feb 5, 2011 - our membership list and
member demographics have been updated. We now have nearly 2,700 members in total!
- Feb 5, 2011 - we have now released our first list of confirmed
program participants. Look out for regular updates every few weeks from now on.
- Feb 4, 2011 - our first list of Film Festival entries is
now available, with an amazing selection of indie and fan films from around the World.
- Feb 1, 2011 - Press Release #20 - Renovation Increases Attending
- Jan 24, 2011 - Press Release #19 - 2011 Hugo Awards – Deadline Approaching
for Right to Nominate.
- Jan 17, 2011 - Hotel Booking for Renovation is now open!.
- Jan 17, 2011 - Press Release #18 - Renovation Hotel Booking
Opens to All Members.
- Jan 11, 2010 - launched our fifth Worldcon survey,
featuring modern Hugo Award winning novels.
- Jan 3, 2011 - Hotel Booking for Renovation will open in two weeks time,
starting at 8 a.m. PST on January 17, 2011.
- Jan 1, 2011 - the 2011 Hugo Award nomination period is now Open! You
can submit your nominations online or download a paper ballot form
- Jan 1, 2011 - Press Release #17 - Hugo Award Nomination
Period is Open.
- Dec 22, 2010 - the latest issue of Hugo nominated fanzine
The Drink Tank contains
an extended look forward to Renovation, including contributions by many Renovation
- Dec 20, 2010 - we will be featuring a performance of Godson,
the only musical written by Roger Zelazny, as part of Music Night.
- Dec 13, 2010 - Press Release #16 - Third Progress Report
for Renovation Mailed.
- Dec 13, 2010 - Progress Report 3 is now available for download from our
- Nov 30, 2010 - launched our Artist Showcase introducing the
artists who will be taking part in our Art Show.
- Nov 29, 2010 - Press Release #15 - Outreach Initiative Invites
Comics and Media Fans to Read a Book.
- Nov 28, 2010 - launched our fourth Worldcon survey,
featuring classic Hugo Award winning novels.
- Nov 6, 2010 - our online membership listing now allows you to check
whether you are receiving paper or electronic Progress Reports.
- Nov 3, 2010 - would you like to choose the site of the 2013 Worldcon? Learn about
the WSFS Site Selection process.
- Oct 23, 2010 - added a new Worldcon Memory from Connie Willis.
- Oct 23, 2010 - you can now apply for space in our Dealers' Room.
- Oct 20, 2010 - announced arrangements for Special Interest and Discussion
Groups - please let us know if your group would like to reserve space.
- Oct 4, 2010 - full details of the Hugo base design competition
are now available.
- Oct 4, 2010 - Press Release #14 - Renovation announces
an open competition for the design of the 2011 Hugo Award base.
- Oct 1, 2010 - we are pleased to announce an extension to our membership
installment plan. We will now accept new installment plan applications through December
- Oct 1, 2010 - Press Release #13 - Renovation Extends
its Membership Installment Plan.
- Oct 1, 2010 - our new membership rates have come into effect.
- Sep 20, 2010 - added a page confirming our intent to run a competition for the design
of the 2011 Hugo Award Base.
- Sep 15, 2010 - added an HTML version of the Masquerade Rules.
- Sep 15, 2010 - added an HTML version of the Art Show Rules.
- Sep 8, 2010 - Progress Report 2 is now available for download from our
- Sep 8, 2010 - Press Release #12 - Renovation Invites the
World of Science Fiction to Meet in Reno.
- Sep 8, 2010 - Press Release #11 - Second Progress Report
for Renovation Mailed.
- Sep 6, 2010 - you can now read about our plans for celebrating Science fiction and
fantasy art, and sign up for our Art Show.
- Sep 5, 2010 - rolled out the first stage of a new look for our website - we hope
you like it!
- Aug 29, 2010 - confirmed a bus shuttle service to
run between the RSCC/Atlantis and Peppermill sites throughout the convention.
- Aug 29, 2010 - as we prepare to become the seated Worldcon, we have published an expanded
list of contact addresses to help members to reach the right
person on our team.
- Aug 23, 2010 - announced our Academic Program on the subject of
"Speculative Frontiers: Reading, Seeing, Being, Going".
- Aug 21, 2010 - standardised the structure and presentation of all FAQ pages.
- Aug 17, 2010 - provided initial information on our Handicapped Services.
- Aug 13, 2010 - visiting from overseas? Overseas members coming to the US under the Visa Waiver
Program should get ESTA approval now, while it's free -
a charge of $14 per application will be applied from September 8, 2010.
- Aug 13, 2010 - uploaded a updated Reno-Tahoe airport terminal map to the
- Aug 11, 2010 - released our advertising brochure
with prices and submission information for advertising in our PRs and Souvenir Book.
- Aug 11, 2010 - added a new page of frequently asked questions about the Masquerade.
- Aug 10, 2010 - published Chris Roberson's appreciation of
- Aug 3, 2010 - read about our plans for programming on comics
and graphic novels.
- July 31, 2010 - launched our third Worldcon survey. Over 400 people
responded to the last one!
- July 26, 2010 - Press Release #10 - Renovation Increases Attending
- July 18 2010 - will Renovation be your first Worldcon? Read Stu Segal's
introduction to Worldcon.
- July 11 2010 - added a new page of Frequently Asked Questions
about Program Participation.
- July 10 2010 - launched our very own
- July 10 2010 - added a short video of Tim Powers and a
tribute to Charles N. Brown by Greg Bear.
- July 1 2010 - Press Release #9 - Renovation Announces
Special Guest Bill Willingham.
- Jun 26 2010 - added more information on our Writers' Workshops.
- Jun 20 2010 - Will Space Stay a New Frontier? Read our latest
New Frontiers article from Professor David Southwood, Director of Science
and Robotic Exploration at the European Space Agency.
- Jun 20 2010 - launched our second Worldcon survey. Over 220 people
responded to the first one!
- Jun 6 2010 - launched our Worldcon survey.
- May 14 2010 - added more information on Stroll with the Stars.
- May 3 2010 - added a page for our Film Festival including entry form
- May 3 2010 - Press Release #8 - Renovation Announces
Independent/Fan Film Festival.
- May 1 2010 - added new Worldcon Memories from Ginjer Buchanan,
Paul Cornell, Ellen Datlow and John Douglas.
- May 1 2010 - our revised membership rates have now taken effect.
- Apr 24 2010 - expanded our Guest material and created a separate
page for each Guest of Honor. Also added a page listing all previous
Worldcon Guests of Honor to the "About Worldcon" section.
- Apr 17 2010 - added an introduction to our plans for the fan program.
- Apr 12 2010 - added new Worldcon Memories from Esther Friesner,
Louise Marley and Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
- Apr 11 2010 - we now have a range of downloadable web site banners
for use on your web site, blog or social network. Help us get the word out - Renovation is coming!
- Apr 11 2010 - added a new At a Glance page with a topic index for the
whole site, to complement the existing site map and search facility.
- Apr 7 2010 - Progress Report 1 is now available for download from our
- Apr 7 2010 - Press Release #7 - First Progress Report for Renovation Mailed.
- Apr 6 2010 - restructured the facilities and
hotel sections of the site to improve the user experience.
- Mar 31 2010 - launched our Worldcon Memories feature page, with
initial contributions from Cory Doctorow, Joe Haldeman, David Levine and Robert Silverberg.
- Mar 28 2010 - Renovation is pleased to announce that Oz Drummond, assisted by
Traci Castleberry, will run the Writers Workshops for Renovation. More information available
- Mar 15 2010 - Press Release #6 - Renovation Increases Attending
Membership Rates, Expires Pre-Supporter and Voter Discounts.
- Mar 7 2010 - the Masquerade Rules are now available.
- Feb 1 2010 - Press Release #5 - Renovation Announces Reduced
Membership Rates for Young Adults.
- Dec 18 2009 - Press Release #4 - Reno Worldcon Announces Evening of
Music with Tricky Pixie.
- Nov 23 2009 - Press Release #3 - Reno Worldcon announces
spectacular setting for Hugo Award Ceremony and Masquerade.
- Nov 11 2009 - you can now register online for Renovation. Why not
- Nov 4 2009 - Congratulations to Renovation Guest of Honor Ellen Asher, who has been recognised
as one of the two World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement
Award winners for 2009. Ellen collected her award at the World Fantasy Convention in San
Jose this weekend. Renovation's Deputy Division Head for Exhibits, Michael J Walsh, was also
honored, receiving a Special Award for the Howard Waldrop collections he has published
through Old Earth Books. Check out
this photo of all the happy award winners.
Oct 21 2009 - Happy Birthday Ursula! Renovation is pleased to join
science fiction fans and friends around the world in celebrating
Le Guin's 80th birthday today, as well as the 40th anniversary of
The Left Hand of Darkness.
Sep 21 2009 - Renovation raises a mug o' grog to Guest of Honor
Tim Powers this week after Tim confirms that Disney has optioned his 1988 novel
On Stranger Tides
and will use elements of the story in the next Pirates of the
Caribbean movie. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
will be released in summer 2011, just a few weeks before Tim's appearance in Reno.
- Sep 7 2009 - Our list of members has now been updated with all
memberships processed at Anticipation.
- Sep 7 2009 - Renovation confirms its policy on Press Passes and
- Aug 23 2009 - We have discovered an error on our part with processing credit card payments for site
selection, and a few people who voted by mail using credit cards have mistakenly been charged twice.
We are putting through refunds of the extra charges, and everything will be corrected soon.
We are sorry for the error.
- Aug 21 2009 - Can you help find our Lost Souls?
- Aug 19 2009 - Ellen Asher has been recognised as one of the two
World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement
Award winners for 2009.
- Aug 16 2009 - Voter information has now been added to the list of members.
- Aug 9 2009 - Our initial list of members is now available online.
- Aug 9 2009 - Press Release 2 - Chesley Awards to be Presented at Renovation.
- Aug 9 2009 - Progress Report 0 is now available for download from our publications area.
- Aug 9 2009 - Launch of the Renovation website.
- Aug 9 2009 - Press Release 1 - Renovation has been elected as the 69th World Science Fiction Convention!